"I know in my heart that man is good,
that what is right will always eventually triumph,
and there is purpose and worth to each and every life."

RONALD WILSON REAGAN
February 6, 1911 - June 5, 2004

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Jefferson on Good Government (a warning to Congressional Democrats and Pres. Obama)

After watching President Obama's address tonight I needed something to lift my political spirits. While Governor Jindal's response began the process, I decided to pull a book off my shelves of Thomas Jefferson's Writings. I decided to read his first inaugural address. As I approached the middle of his speech, I about jumped out of my chair when I read the following segment that, unfortunately, only dampened my spirits even more in relation to our current political situation:
"...what is more necessary to make us a happy and a prosperous people? Still one thing more, fellow-citizens--a wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government."
President Obama, your trillion dollar spending spree is, by your own admission, going to be funded simply from a tax hike on the upper 2% of Americans. Just because they may have enough bread to feed their family doesn't mean you have a right to all their excess. Don't forget, either, that the upper 5% of income earners actually stimulate economic growth more than any government plan will.
Thank you Thomas Jefferson for being so principled and sound in your moral reasoning that you had to go and make my day worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment